You may think of massage as a luxury to indulge in on occasion. But one of the most beneficial times for massage may be during pregnancy.
Possible Benefits of Pregnancy Massage
Only a handful of small studies have focused on massage in pregnancy. No definite benefits have been established. But one study at the University of Miami School of Medicine suggests that massage therapy might have multiple positive effects, including:
- Lowered anxiety
- Decreased back and leg pain
- Improved sleep
- Decreased levels of the stress hormone norepinephrine
In another study of pregnancy massage in depressed women, researchers found:
- Increased levels of the “feel-good” hormones serotonin and dopamine
- Decreased levels of cortisol, an indicator of stress
- An overall improvement in mood
Research has shown that, for the general population, massage has other potential benefits. It may relieve pain, or it may boost the immune system’s ability to fight off viruses and tumors.
WebMD Medical Reference. (2017, Jan 21). Pregnancy Massage
Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/baby/pregnancy-and-massage#1